The exact date of the monastery’s foundation is unknown. It is assumed that it was founded by the archbishop of Rostov, Gregory, in the XV century.

Since its foundation, the monastery has been attributed to the Rostov archbishop’s house, and supposedly was built by the ancient Rostov archpastors for their summer stay in these places, where the Veksa River flows nearby and where the air is clean and well-bred due to the proximity of the meadows.

In the charter of Ivan the Terrible from 1555, the Belogostitskiy Monastery is mentioned as already existing and even with several patrimonial estates. According to the legend, earlier, on the site of the monastery there were two wooden churches:

  1. In the name of St. George, founded in 997 by Prince Yaroslav Vladimirovich;
  2. In the name of the Annunciation, built in 1213 under Prince Constantine Vsevolodovich from the stone carried on the river Veksa to Rostov.

According to the manuscripts, this area got its name from Prince Kiy, the founder of Kiev, who was hunting there, and lived at that time in a white tent, and therefore, was nicknamed a ‘white guest’ (in Russian – ‘beliy gost’).

In 1630-1646, the Archimandrite of the monastery was Iona Sysoevich, the future metropolitan of Rostov and Yaroslavl. Since his management, the main construction of the monastery started. Most of the churches were built at the expense of Prince Mikhail Mikhailovich Temkin, a descendant of the ancient Rostov princes, who donated all his fortune to the monastery.

In 1657-1688, the Church in the name of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Church in the name of the Archangel Michael and other Celestial Beings were built. At the end of the XVII century, other churches were built in the monastery: the Church in the name of the Resurrection of Christ, and the Church in the name of St. Nicholas, Archbishop Myra of Lycia, the Wonderworker.

The monastery is surrounded by a stone fence with four towers and three gates. As can be seen from the landmark books of 1665, the monastery was formerly called St. George’s. In the cathedral church, there were the miraculous Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, which came from the house of the church-maker of Prince Temkin-Rostovsky, and the ancient Georgian Icon of the Mother of God, transferred here from the abolished Akakiev desert.

In 1845, on the site of the dismantled bell tower of the XVII century, a new four-tiered bell tower was built by Timothy Smolin, under the direction of Yaroslavl architect Feodorovsky. In 1857, after the appointment of the monastery to the Yaroslavl Bishops’ House, its ancient ensemble was replenished with new churches. The Churches in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God were built in the seventies of the XIX century. The monastery remained active until the 1920s.

In 1926, it was transferred to the museum, but from the 1940s to the 1960s it served as a prison, later used for household needs, then abandoned, which caused some serious damage to the buildings. The monastery has been slowly recovering since the late 2000s.

These are costs to restore St. George Monastery in Belogostitsy.

Exchange Rate RUB $
₽57 $1
Church restoration project ₽3,600,000 $63,158
Total restoration requirements ₽3,600,000 $63,158